Luton Town game abandoned after player’s cardiac arrest as Manchester City Squander Lead

Luton captain Tom Lockyer suffered a cardiac arrest that forced his side’s Premier League game at Bournemouth on Saturday as Manchester City threw away a 2-0 lead against Crystal Palace. Luton’s game on the south coast was halted midway through the second half with the score 1-1 after defender Lockyer collapsed on the pitch. The Wales international was taken off the pitch on a stretcher surrounded by a medical team to a standing ovation from the crowd. The Premier League confirmed that the match had been abandoned. “Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain went into cardiac arrest on the pitch but was responsive as he was taken off the stretcher,” Luton said in a statement. “He received further treatment inside the stadium for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides. Tom was transferred to hospital where we can assure supporters he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside .”

The 29-year-old had heart surgery in June after collapsing during Luton’s play-off win against Coventry.

He returned to action for the start of the new season and had so far made 15 appearances in all competitions before Saturday’s game.

Wales wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Our thoughts go out to Tom Lockyer.”

The incident at Bournemouth overshadowed a dramatic game at the Etihad in which champions City were heading for victory before conceding two late goals.

Palace have been something of a bogey team for City boss Pep Guardiola since arriving in England in 2016 – they are one of only three teams to have won at the Etihad more than once, along with Manchester United and Chelsea.

The champions, without injured top scorer Erling Haaland, enjoyed almost three-quarters of the possession in the first half but had only Jack Grealish‘s goal to show their dominance.

City extended their lead then Rico Lewis thumped the ball into the bottom left corner in the 54th minute.

City looked set to move to within a point of Premier League leaders Liverpool before the late drama.

But Palace scored against the run of play to give themselves hope in the 76th minute when Jeffrey Schlupp drew the attention of the City defense and crossed for Jean-Philippe Mateta to poke home.

The home fans faced a nervous final quarter and watched in horror as referee Paul Tierney pointed to the spot after Phil Foden scolded Mateta.

Michael Olise made no mistake, coming on in the 95th minute and boos rang around the Etihad at the final whistle.

City, who now go to the Club World Cup in Saudi Arabia, have won just one of their last six Premier League games and risk falling off the pace.

“It’s really unfortunate but we have to look at ourselves and look at our individual decisions and then look at us as a group,” Lewis told the BBC.

“We can’t blame anyone else. We can only blame ourselves for that.”

Chelsea beat bottom club Sheffield United 2-0 to register their third home league win of the season.

Cole Palmer smashed Raheem Sterling‘s low cross into the net in the 54th minute, and he became the provider just after the hour mark for Nicholas Jackson.

Newcastle took all three points at their St James’ Park stronghold after two successive league defeats.

Teenager Lewis Miley found the bottom corner in the 57th minute, Miguel Almiron made it 2-0 and Dan Burn moved home late in the game to put the result beyond doubt.

Burnley face Everton later on Saturday, with Sean Dyche’s men aiming for a fourth win in a row.

High-flying Aston Villa and Arsenal are both in action on Sunday, as are Jurgen Klopp’s leaders, who face underachieving Manchester United.

Topics mentioned in this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *